?

Log in

No account? Create an account

April 3rd, 2004


Previous Entry Share Flag Next Entry
12:53 am - Hellboy and that link I promised.
This afternoon I ended up taking a couple of hours of personal time and leaving work early. juniperlore invited me to join her with aethicite, emjay42 and exairian to see Hellboy. Wow, there's something wrong with the fact that I hang out with more people who have livejournals than those who don't. On the other hand, at least I know you all from meatspace. Well, most of you, anyway.

Dinner started out being Thai, and ended up being Friday's on the East Side. Somewhere along the way, communication simultaneously happened and failed to happen, and Sean and Nate ended up going too. I could have hitched a ride with them. Oh, and at Friday's we saw a girl my housemates had graduated with, and I was considering hitting on her in front of her boyfriend and parents. Nate was with me. What were they gonna do? Once we got to the theater, we were joined (fairly spontaneously, I think) by my friend John, his girlfriend Anna (who just got back from Spring Break in Florida), my sister (who just got back from Florida with Anna), her boyfriend Eric (who recorded the Quazarin CD), their friend Sausage (possibly his real name), and I ran into my friends Craig (who used to do lights for Decadence) and Alice. It was really weird; sort of a reunion between myself and most of the people I've been neglecting to hang out with recently.

The movie was good. Maybe I oughta read Hellboy for a point of reference, but it's slick and it's entertaining. That's all I ask from mainstream Hollywood, and the absence of Jason Biggs and Tara Reid is pure gravy. Guillermo del Toro's next movie film -- if negotiations with Arkham House pan out -- is a book-accurate adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness. I'd love to see it (and I think he could do a nice job with it), but when I picture At The Mountains of Madness as a movie, I picture something as slow and inaccessible as 2001: A Space Odyssey, only set in Antarctica and with more few giant penguins.

Anyway, my housemates decided to leave right away, which means that emjay42 left food in Nate's car. Matt, if you really want the rest of that bacon cheeseburger, it's probably in our fridge.

Anyway, during dinner I promised I'd post this link to the Brunching Shuttlecocks Porn Star or My Little Pony? quiz. I took that quiz some time ago and did horrendously badly on it. Check out the rest of the site, too -- it's pretty entertaining.

Also, as a completely unrelated side note, Trend Micro Housecall is a free online virus scanner, which has often managed to catch things that seem to slip by Norton Antivirus and McAffee. Common sense tells me I should probably shell out the money for a registered copy.

It's late. I'ma go to bed.
Current Mood: sleepysleepy
Current Music: Rufus Wainwright -- Origin of Love

(4 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:evil_jim
Date:April 3rd, 2004 01:16 am (UTC)

Now with more abbv.!!

(Link)
Mentioning Hellboy reminded me that you still have my LXG book. I'm really curious to know what you think if you've read it. I do hope you enjoy.

I'd also forgotten about the tentative AtMoM adaptation you told me about however long ago. I happen to like 2001: aSO, but that style for the story hadn't occurred to me. The closest I've seen is when we watched the b/w film called (I think) The Thing which, as I recall, we both slept through most of.

And on an unrelated note, I think Quazarin Hunting is my favourite of your album covers after Fungi.
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:April 3rd, 2004 08:31 am (UTC)

Re: Now with more abbv.!!

(Link)
I didn't have anything to do with that cover, but I happen to like it too. Want a copy of the CD? I probably have an extra somewhere.

Have not read the book yet. I'll do it soon. Generally when I read a graphic novel I read it twice -- once fairly quickly, and then again to catch all the details in the artwork. I'll let you know when it happens.

When I compared AtMoM to 2001, what I meant is that if the movie remains faithful to the book, I don't think it will do well at the box office. I know that people like us would like it, having been familiar with the book, but people have certain expectations going into a movie -- especially a horror movie. With a handful of exceptions (The Others, The Ninth Gate, etc.), horror movies usually exploit the fact that film is visual medium. They're full of sex, violence, and cool special effects. When Lovecraft gets adapted in film, we usually get something like Re-Animator, which is fun, somehow manages to retain most of the minor details from the book, and yet is conveys little or none of the atmosphere Lovecraft's original work intended.

For most people (especially those who have never read the book), 2001 moves very slowly and ultimately the plot doesn't make much sense. I get the feeling that AtMoM will end up being two and a half hours of archeology punctuated by a couple of suspenseful moments and maybe a violent scene of the star-spawn desecrating the encampment. I'd pay to see this movie, but I can imagine people leaving in the middle of the film out of sheer boredom.

Incidentally, I did eventually finish watching The Thing. It's actually quite good, and holds up pretty well, given that it's near half a century old. John Carpenter remade it in the early 80s, and that version is also supposed to be good. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I've never seen it, because it's apparently one of those movies that EVERYBODY has seen.

Fun fact, since I've already made this comment way too long: Somewhere in the John Carpenter version, somebody utters the sentence "It's green and it's pissed!" It's Green And It's Pissed was one of the working titles of the game DooM.
[User Picture]
From:evil_jim
Date:April 3rd, 2004 09:40 am (UTC)

Tekili-li!

(Link)
I see your point about AtMoM. There are different types of horror, tho'. I should hope people would have different expectations for a supernatural/psychological horror film than the typical slasher fare. I'm still optomistic that a film adaptation can work, if only because I've already seen it in my own mind. But then, this would have to make money and H.P. himself didn't do a lot of that in his time.

Take your time with the book. Every time I read it I find something new. It's one of very few titles I have that I enjoy enough to read more than once or twice in a year and the second volume is just as good. Also, I may have shown you this before but here it is again.
[User Picture]
From:juniperlore
Date:April 5th, 2004 11:07 am (UTC)

Re: Now with more abbv.!!

(Link)
we turned around and you guys had left:) we figured you were trying to escape the impending Karaoke invite;)
Garmonbozia for the soul.

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Sacred Potato Productions


> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com