Hey, what's a good movie for a guy to watch with the woman he cares for? I was thinking Weekend at Bernie's 2, Shaft's Big Score, Rambo III or The Last Starfighter. If you had to choose between these, which one would it be?
And here are the answers I received, copied verbatim from my e-mail:
- "How about Friday the 13th or The Blob Or Pee-Wee's Big Adventure?"
- "something with arnold schwarzenegger. arnold is way more romantic than shaft."
- "I was thinking more along the lines of the brave little toaster, joe verses the volcano, or mulholland drive. Oooh oooh ooh or you could watch a whole bunch of red green episodes."
- "none of those you dingy! And here I thought you did the romantic stuff..... or at least had more experience! My advice? Suck it up and opt for a chick flick! You could even opt for a comedy Romance. Is there a certain movie you know she likes? Get creative and find a round about way of finding out. My favs: Sweet Home Alabama, Legally Blond I or II, or Romeo and Juliet."
- "I have always enjoyed watching Armageddon, Mortal Kombat, or Children of the Corn on Valentine's Day."
- "The long version of 2001: A Space Oddyssey."
- The woman who suggested Friday the 13th, The Blob and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure was half serious... And I own two of those movies.
- The AEG suggested Shaft's Big Score because she'd never heard of it and thought it was porn. She also sent me home with a bunch of cookies and 1/4 of a Waldorf-Astoria cake on Friday. I was pleased.
- The woman who told me to go for a chick-flick thought I was totally serious, and came over to my desk to berate me about what an awful boyfriend I must be.
- While this conversation was taking place, somebody else walked by and overheard us. She came back later to tell me that the first Weekend At Bernie's movie is better than the second one, and then actually proceeded to contrast the merits of both films. I have not the words.
- My boss was the one who suggested Armageddon, Mortal Kombat, or Children of the Corn.
- Ellen volunteered that although she will sit through them, she does not generally seek out movies that would be deemed "chick flicks."