February 16th, 2004
|01:09 pm - More fun with Weekend at Bernie's II|
As you may recall, on Friday I wrote that I'd jokingly told my coworkers that Ellen and I would be watching Weekend at Bernie's 2 on Valentine's day. Actually, I'd sent out an e-mail just to get a response from them:
Hey, what's a good movie for a guy to watch with the woman he cares for? I was thinking Weekend at Bernie's 2, Shaft's Big Score, Rambo III or The Last Starfighter. If you had to choose between these, which one would it be?
And here are the answers I received, copied verbatim from my e-mail:
Other points of interest:
- "How about Friday the 13th or The Blob Or Pee-Wee's Big Adventure?"
- "something with arnold schwarzenegger. arnold is way more romantic than shaft."
- "I was thinking more along the lines of the brave little toaster, joe verses the volcano, or mulholland drive. Oooh oooh ooh or you could watch a whole bunch of red green episodes."
- "none of those you dingy! And here I thought you did the romantic stuff..... or at least had more experience! My advice? Suck it up and opt for a chick flick! You could even opt for a comedy Romance. Is there a certain movie you know she likes? Get creative and find a round about way of finding out. My favs: Sweet Home Alabama, Legally Blond I or II, or Romeo and Juliet."
- "I have always enjoyed watching Armageddon, Mortal Kombat, or Children of the Corn on Valentine's Day."
- "The long version of 2001: A Space Oddyssey."
- The woman who suggested Friday the 13th, The Blob and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure was half serious... And I own two of those movies.
- The AEG suggested Shaft's Big Score because she'd never heard of it and thought it was porn. She also sent me home with a bunch of cookies and 1/4 of a Waldorf-Astoria cake on Friday. I was pleased.
- The woman who told me to go for a chick-flick thought I was totally serious, and came over to my desk to berate me about what an awful boyfriend I must be.
- While this conversation was taking place, somebody else walked by and overheard us. She came back later to tell me that the first Weekend At Bernie's movie is better than the second one, and then actually proceeded to contrast the merits of both films. I have not the words.
- My boss was the one who suggested Armageddon, Mortal Kombat, or Children of the Corn.
- Ellen volunteered that although she will sit through them, she does not generally seek out movies that would be deemed "chick flicks."
Current Mood: amused
Current Music: Meat Puppets -- Severed Goddess Hand
Romeo and Juliet...yes. Watch a movie where the families are full of hatred and the two main characters (as well as a few others) die at the end. Really. So romantic.
For reference, that suggestion came from someone who told me that "if a movie is more than ten years old, a woman won't like it." She also called The Princess Bride "way too old and way too dumb."
|Date:||February 16th, 2004 09:57 pm (UTC)|| |
I'd vote for Field of Dreams; it's the world's only chick flick made for men.
Woah. That might be the best description I've ever heard of that movie.
IS there a short version of 2001? And why the hell would anyone want to watch that? I mean 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the finest cinematic triumphs since the discovery of Jim Carrey. Well, compared with Jim Carrey, a superbowl commercial is a cinematic triumph, but that's besides the point.
People seem to be divided 50/50 as to whether 2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece, or absolute crap. I'm with you on the masterpiece side. Thanks to the Internet, I can tell you that the film premiered at a length of 160 minutes, after which Kubrick shortened it by 21 minutes. The shorter version is the one available on DVD and VHS, though I'm almost positive that I've seen the longer one.
Yes, I know it's 2004, but I still capitalize the I in "Internet."