?

Log in

No account? Create an account

December 15th, 2004


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:45 pm - Commerce, artistic integrity, and erotic tangerines
First things first: do not buy me gifts because you're not getting any. Burn me CDs if you must, because I'd rather you spend $0.50 and be disappointed than $26.77 and be disappointed. I considered buying Big Lots' entire stock of harmonicas so that I'd have them in case people start giving me gifts, but I picked one up for myself and, well, let's just say that there's a reason they're priced at $1.99.

That said, Christmas is that magical time of year when you get crap you'll never use from people you never see. My sister and I went shopping for our relatives last night. We've been doing this for a couple of years now because it's cheaper, it's easier to come up with gift ideas, and our relatives end up receiving smaller piles of nicer crap than if we'd been shopping individually.

Last year we spent most of the evening on State Street before giving up and heading to the mall. This year we forewent State Street in favor of East Towne Mall. We both loathe the mall, but these days it's the indoor State Street. Most of State Street's non-franchise businesses are bars, expensive convenience stores or are specialized to the point that it's not worth going in unless I want something specific. On top of that, the mall has fewer panhandlers and idiot drivers, and it's not as cold. We got our shopping done in record time, made a side-trip to Borders, and supped at Fazoli's where we got to listen to some high school students loudly speculating on whether married couples still enjoy looking at each other naked after they hit forty.

At Borders I picked up a copy of the much-maligned Mr. Show movie Run Ronnie Run!, which I watched last night. I've seen it before and I like it, though it probably deserves a good deal of the criticism it's received. Parts of the movie (Patrick Warburton as the head of the International Gay Conspiracy, musical numbers by Mandy Patinkin and Jack Black, and Bob Odenkirk as the world's worst inventor ("The Fish Magician! It hides fish! Nobody bought it.") are brilliant, but it gets bogged down by having a plot. Monty Python and the Holy Grail circumvented this problem by molding a five-minute story arc around 85 minutes of sketch comedy. RRR! drags what could have been a mildly amusing five-minute sketch into a grueling 50, and peppers it with unrelated comedy sketches. These sketches work. The whole doesn't. David Cross and Bob Odenkirk who wrote and starred in the film have disowned it, blaming their loss of creative control over the final cut.

Still, $6 for a DVD that's going to get a lot of repeat viewings (probably alone, because my sister already has a copy, and I don't know who I could con into sitting through it with me), i's not a bad investment. Actually, I have a low-quality VHS bootleg of the film from back when it didn't look like RRR! was ever going to be released, and the DVD cut of the film is substantially (and detrimentally) shorter, but everything cut is included in the deleted scenes on the disc.

Just so you know.
Current Mood: chipperchipper
Current Music: Three Times One Minus One -- The Greatest Love in History

(13 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:December 15th, 2004 07:47 pm (UTC)

Smells like bad movie night?

(Link)
Well, let's just say that the title of the song serves as a pretty literal narrative for the visuals.
[User Picture]
From:jinxedkisses
Date:December 15th, 2004 08:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I saw David Cross at Luthers Blues. He was not horribly funny, his set ran way too long, and there was only standing room. It was a rather icky experience...
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:December 15th, 2004 09:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Really? That's too bad. Have you seen/did you like Mr. Show? The only other person I know who's seen him live says that his solo albums and standup are great, but can't stand any of the TV or movies he's done.
[User Picture]
From:jinxedkisses
Date:December 15th, 2004 11:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I haven't seen Mister Show but I do like him in movies and on Arrested Development. Maybe I was just in a bad mood the night I saw him because the situation was so icky (standing surrounded by drunk people who are smoking) but he just wasn't laugh (or even giggle) out loud funny...
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:December 15th, 2004 11:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I dunno, I've never heard his standup but my guess is that if you think you didn't like it, you probably didn't like it. I think you would appreciate a lot of the humor in Run Ronnie Run!, but I hesitate to recommend it because so many of the reviews on the internet (from David Cross fans, no less) say that it's completely devoid of any redeeming qualities.
[User Picture]
From:agaysexicon
Date:December 15th, 2004 10:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I WAS going to say that I was interested in seeing it, but then I saw the user comment:

"Brilliant! The funniest comedy since Dumb and Dumber!"

Italics mine. Stupid statement his.

Now, I am unsure that I want to see it.
[User Picture]
From:agaysexicon
Date:December 15th, 2004 11:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wait, I just read the first part of your post. NO GIFTS? Fine. Fine. Screw up my holiday plans, why dontcha? I guess I'll just keep that robot monkey army myself. I still have more christmas shopping to do.
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:December 15th, 2004 11:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
W-- uh, wait. Army of robot monkeys, you say? Let's not be so hasty.
[User Picture]
From:agaysexicon
Date:December 15th, 2004 11:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
No, no. You're right. I mean, I DID get you that Ween CD (burned. Total cost < $.50.) and I guess adding more to that is too much. The robot monkey army did cost a little more than $26.77, and you explicitly forbade such a gift.
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:December 15th, 2004 11:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'll put it this way: from the description on the packaging, I probably would never have watched this movie. It's like Kids in the Hall (or Monty Python (or Mr. Show)) in that it goes rapidly between being very clever and being embarrassing to watch.
[User Picture]
From:agaysexicon
Date:December 16th, 2004 12:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
The thing is: you usually have good taste when it comes to these things. And when you don't have good taste, it's usually not good taste we share. I believe the same goes for Liz.

Though, if people DO hand you out gifts, for people who you think might appreciate it, you can always hand them a CD of your own music. Think about it as offering a free demo, or setting up a demand for your musical services not already in service. Or something like that. You can hand people a CD if you like them, a harmonica if you don't. Or if you're outta CDs. Or... or... not. Just a thought.
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:December 16th, 2004 05:29 am (UTC)
(Link)
Certain people would like me to record a CD of original harmonica music. Got it.
[User Picture]
From:agaysexicon
Date:December 16th, 2004 06:45 am (UTC)
(Link)
Great! As long as there's no ambiguity or whatchamacallit.
Commerce, artistic integrity, and erotic tangerines - Garmonbozia for the soul. — LiveJournal

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Sacred Potato Productions


> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com