?

Log in

No account? Create an account

May 7th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
04:19 am - Post-Rocky Horror thoughts
This will be a short post, which doesn't necessarily mean that it will be interesting:
1. Cough drops: Ricola are a thousand times (like seriously, I've done the math) more effective than Halls at helping me maintain the upper register of my voice during Rocky Horror when I have a cold. Lower register is diminished to a hoarse whisper, but the lower register is always useless by the end of the show. even in the best possible circumstances. What a friend I have in Ricola.

2. The waitstaff at IHOP: Overworked and marginally competent do not mix well. I'd rather put up with incredibly poor treatment by the Perkins staff because at Perkins I at least get what I ask for. There may be somebody else's saliva in it because I've asked three times, but the point is that it makes it all the way to the table.

3. That car... is still... out there: There's been a car parked in front of our house for about a week. It has no plates and is far enough away from the curb to make it dangerous. Our mail carrier is writing us nasty notes which say things like "car in front of car." I think she means "car in front of box", though I could be wrong. The car should be moved or towed, but the police department is either ignoring our complaint or "waiting for just the right time." Guess which one it probably is?

R. Stand by R.E.M.: This is the fourth song on their album Green, but the tray insert on the CD says "R. Stand". What's up with that?

Current Mood: relaxedready for bed
Current Music: R.E.M. -- World Leader Pretend

(6 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:evil_jim
Date:May 8th, 2006 09:05 am (UTC)
(Link)
(singing)
Stand in the place where you R (I feel fine)
Think about direction, wonder what's inside it...

[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:May 8th, 2006 05:07 pm (UTC)

Use it for spackle, or bathroom grout.

(Link)
I hadn't thought of that. There are several (probably spurious) theories about it floating around online, but the one that seems most plausible is that it was a typo that didn't get fixed because the band liked it. A few people claim to have read an interview with Michael Stipe where he confirms that he'd accidentally typed "G4een" instead of "Green" due to the proximity of the 4 and R keys. He liked the typo so much that he decided they should use it somewhere. I can only speculate as to whether or not this is true because I can't find the interview.

I have, however, found a number of interviews where Stipe and other members of the band lament that Stand was their first really big hit because the original idea for the song was an exaggeration of the simplicity (I think the word "dumbness" was used) of pop music.
[User Picture]
From:evil_jim
Date:May 8th, 2006 07:22 pm (UTC)

Re: Use it for spackle, or bathroom grout.

(Link)
Neat. Thanks fo4 the insight.
[User Picture]
From:seanorange
Date:May 8th, 2006 04:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Does it count that we went to two shows last week, so I don't have to feel bad about missing this one?

But then, you went to all of them, so...

I think I am pwned.

As for that car, I'd recommend getting a gaggle of your pals together to lift the thing and move it over a few feet. Some people I know in high school would do that sort of thing (or at least claimed to)...

~Sean
[User Picture]
From:sacredspud
Date:May 8th, 2006 04:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I was informed yesterday that the Madison police department will move anything if you claim that it's connected with drug activity. I'm half-tempted to make that call.

Only half, though.
[User Picture]
From:evil_jim
Date:May 8th, 2006 07:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Sprinkle some parsley over the front seat, then wipe your fingerprints from the door handle.
Post-Rocky Horror thoughts - Garmonbozia for the soul.

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Sacred Potato Productions


> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com